8.29.2012

Creation Unit Study Days 1-2

One thing I have found to be EXTREMELY helpful with having a 4 and 5 year old is having structure! I can notice the days that I have not been as rigid and they pay for it and so do I! I in no way have our entire day planned from clock in to clock out. I once worked for someone who couldn't, not have something planned and I am just not like that. When I have my own kids I hope to be far more relaxed when it comes to my days with kids! For now, having structure helps!

One of the things I have started with them is out "special" school time! They love getting their notebooks and papers and writing letters, counting objects, drawing pictures, etc. I started with a creation unit study using some parts of My Father's World curriculum. I only used parts and pieced together what I wanted because I didn't think the way it was set up all together would have been beneficial for them!

For 2 weeks we dove into each day of creation. I told them about each day and they would repeat it back. This week we began taking each day and doing some fun activities to go along with each day of creation!

For day 1 we talked about how God spoke light into place. That we can't say something and have it made. Only God can make things by using His mouth. We headed to the kitchen to make light and dark cookies!


I used this sugar cookies recipe.

Easy Sugar Cookies
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F  
In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. 
Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. 
Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. 

When it came time to the make the "dark" part, I separated the dough and mixed a tablespoon or so of cocoa powder into it. I was concerned that it would have changed the make up or taste but it worked perfectly!
I had them take chunks of "dark" and chunks of "light" and roll them together! 
The "R" and "A" cookies at the bottom are for the clouds God made on Day 2! Quick cover up for Lala didn't make enough chocolate dough and doesn't care to make more! It worked well with the rest of the day anyway! 
After lunch we headed outside to play in water buckets because on Day 2 God made the waters above and the waters below! 
 I gave them small bowls, cups, spoons, ladles, paintbrushes, and clean sponges. They poured and splashed and painted! Super fun for them, super easy for me.
We talked about how God had made the clouds and all about the water cycle! We talked about the kinds of clouds, and their color and what that meant!

Special School time has been so much fun for me to do with them! Being on this side of school and doing the things I used to enjoy have brought back great memories! 

Stay tuned for day 3 and 4! 

No comments:

Post a Comment