6.22.2010

Another Happy Birthday!

Today is my cousin's birthday. I have many cousins but this cousin in particular is the cousin closest to my age on my mom's side. We have grown up together 5 states apart! =) During middle and high school we went on several trips together. Unfortunately, as we have entered the "next" phase in life, time does not allow frequent get aways. Another reason why I am so thankful for e-mails and facebook. For this birthday she has chosen the most selfless location possible. Completely abandoning all things comfortable and usually celebratory, she is in the Ivory Coast ministering to college students. No breakfast in bed. No shopping spree. No small treats throughout the day because it's her birthday. No birthday cake. No singing. No time to think of becoming one year older. Just being where and what God wants her to be. Perhaps she has a better gift than any shopping can obtain. The complete joy of being in His will. I have only heard one update but from what I can tell the Father already has so many things working for His good.
Em and I were never bored when we were together. Whether it was ordering room service in NYC, having pillow fights in Tennessee, or running on the beach in NC. It didn't really matter where we were but, we had so much fun. We pretty much made fun where we were.
One of my favorite memories with her is Thanksgiving 2007. We had gone to the beach for the week and were thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Thanksgiving morning we had to run to the local 7-11. After picking up a few things we needed for the impending guests it came time to pay where we began a conversation with the cashier. She had family but had to work that day. She explained to us the things she loved about Thanksgiving. Time with family, way too full tummies, and pumpkin pie. She spoke fondly about some memories she had over the years as she bagged up our items. She handed them to us and wished us a happy Thanksgiving.
Em and I left the store with one goal in mind, to go back. Once we reached the house we loaded up two plates of Thanksgiving feast and headed back to the 7-11. After delivering food for her small convenience store celebration. We gave her some tracks and talked to her for a little bit. We presented the Gospel, told her we would pray for her, and left. We don't know the outcome of that Thanksgiving nearly 3 years ago. But, I do know that it is one of my fondest memories with Em.

I hope you have one of those God-sized blessings of a day Em...although with the time change I think it is almost over! =)

I could not be more proud of you!
Be safe! Happy Birthday! Love the cuz...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks AH. You touched my heart with some wonderful memories, your precious love for Em and your sharing of the time that Thanksgiving. You are a blessing to all of us. Thanks for being who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you do not know me but I am a really good friend of Emileys. I saw that she followed your blog and your title "While I'm Waiting" caught my eye because, first of all I love that song and second of all, I had those same verses at the top of my blog until just the other day when I remodled it. lol Anyways, you are a beautiful writer and I might just have to start following you myself. Your post for Em's birthday brought tears to my eyes. I loved that Thanksgiving story! I miss her so much and am so proud of her also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys are all to sweet! thank you holly for sharing that memory and for the sweet birthday wish! it was by far the best birthday ever! the Lord had me just where he wanted me and it couldn't get any better than that!

    Dad and Jess, i missed you both so much!

    I love you all!

    ReplyDelete