8.03.2010

keeping my distance

Where does being stupid begin and being Jesus end?

As a single female I tend to keep my distance from anyone while out in public alone. I try to get in, get done, get out as fast as I can. I am not a cold person. I am not one to be mean. But, I feel that there is a certain amount of smarts one should have in the increasingly sick world. I just want to and try to be wise.

Today I was headed into the grocery store to pick up a few items. As I was walking to the door an elderly woman motions for me. At first I assumed that I had been in her way and so I sidestepped to go around her. When she motioned again, I realized that she was trying to communicate with me.

I am not sure if she could not speak English or if she could not speak at all but in either case I didn't understand a thing she said. She had one hand on the handle bar and the other hand firmly grasping the back to the child seat that collapses when pulled to yourself. After a few more minutes I assumed that she was pointing to the seat. I reached to grab the back myself and close it but she began to get agitated. I stepped back and kept asking her to repeat what she was saying.

After a few minutes I asked her if I could go get some help for her and she shook her head yes. I stepped inside and asked one of the store clerks to help.

I didn't want to get too close. I didn't want to risk any safety. I know it seems mean. I know that it was a cold thing to do. After all, she was just an elderly lady.

So back to the original question. When does being Jesus end and being wise begin? I don't want to miss an opportunity to love like Christ. I want to be His hand and His feet and show up at His time in His story.

Is there a way to be Jesus and be wise about it? Sure. I am just still figuring it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment