8.23.2010

the strike of reality

I have been reading this book with my Sunday School class. We have not gotten far simply because of how much is packed in the first 2 chapters and the preface. But this past chapter, ch. 2, was all about living for the glory of God in whatever you do. No matter what. That death is something not easily grasped by us and the reality is that we don't know when it will come.


(scroll to the bottom to turn the music off)

This morning I found out a close friend from middle school was killed in a car accident. When we were 12ish we were pretty close. When I moved away 6 years ago contact dwindled so the feeling of loosing someone "close" was not there but the reality struck, hard!

This month will mark the 2nd anniversary of another friend's death. He was also killed in a car accident. That hard part about it is that we were not out of touch because of distance, but because we were not on good terms. We had a disagreement and I went with the flow instead of forgiving him and letting him know that Christ in us was greater than the events that occurred.

With both the these instances they were unexpected. No one knew it was coming. We couldn't say goodbye. That was it.

You never, NEVER know when your time is the time. It is hard to understand that concept that literally the breath you are exhaling is the only one you are guaranteed. "What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" James 4:14

I am struggling with my "vapor" right now. What am I doing that is Kingdom focused? How am I eating or drinking or doing anything for the Glory of God?" 1 Cor 10:31 Am I waking up simply to bring praise to my Savior?

I was asked again today to pray for someone I knew in middle and high school. Since graduating high school her already ungrounded life was sent spinning in a downward cycle. Eating disorders, late night parties, under aged event, etc. Everything she was raised up in was forgotten. Now she is a very needy 20 year old looking for someone/thing to meet those needs in ALL the wrong places. What am I doing to impact her for the Kingdom? If she was to die tomorrow can I lay my head down at night knowing that I did all that God had asked me to do concerning being Jesus to her?

Then there is my Friday friend I have mentioned on here before. I have recently discovered some news about her that breaks my heart. I long for her to love Jesus the way that I do. I pray constantly for her to find her rest in Him. But, what and I doing that encourages her toward that goal? Am I loving her like He did? Am I doing my everything?

Maybe I am but there is a part of me that just wants a little more. So if you think about it, pray for my Friday friend, my other friend and the families of my two I mentioned first. God has not called me to be comfortable and while I wait, I want to be as uncomfortable as I can get.

1 comment:

  1. i've read crazy love and it is absolutely one of the best books i have ever read. it really asks some questions...that im not sure if we have ever thought of before but definitely questions we most often avoid.
    this summer i was really challenged with acts 20:24. it has made my walk with the Lord totally different. but yet a constant struggle. I will be praying for you my dear sister as you continue to seek the Lords will in all of this! i love you!

    ReplyDelete