1.24.2012

10 things Tuesday - Nanny

Welcome back to 10 things Tuesday!
This is coming from the same neighborhood as the last 10 things in way of childcare but this time we are exploring Nannies! So, let's get started!
#1 - Our job descriptions are all different. Do not assume that because you hired a nanny that you are getting a housekeeper too. If you have hired us under the pretenses of caring for your children and usual household tasks then expect that to be done. But do not require your toilets clean when you get home.
#2 - We aren't shrinks. Please don't take our time after we've "gotten off" to fill us in on your personal life! I'm sorry but I am more concerned with your child's behavior or temperature then your boss's rude way of asking for something or your family feud.
#3 - We like to have hours just like you do. If we have a set time block for work please respect that. You are off, we would like to be too. Don't take the time to run a few errands first. Get off from your job a little earlier.
#4 - If your child is having a hard time with you leaving you have two choices. Don't go and let me off. OR LEAVE! The longer you linger with teary eyed Timmy, the longer I have to clean up after you. Timmy is going to carry on after you a leave, but only for a minute. I can handle it.
#5 - If your child is sick. Stay home with them. The last thing I want is to spend time with your sick child. It's one thing to work while your sick and most of us don't mind that. It's another thing to work while the child is sick. The ONLY thing your sick child wants is you.
#6 - Please don't undermine my authority when you are present or absent. I will do my best to allow you to parent when you are there but there are rules set up during my time with your child. Please don't promise something to your child that I will do. It would be considerate to ask if it is something that I could do before promising them that I can.
#7 - My job is to make your child's day fun. We aren't the parents. We will have rules and guidelines but for the most part we are going to do fun stuff! We don't like sitting around at home all day. Do you?
#8 - This is a real job! I can't begin to tell you the amount of times we get told that keeping up with your kids is not a real job. It is and we go to bed very happy at night knowing that we've earned every penny.
#9 - Please don't be offended when little Johnny calls me mom. I didn't put him up to it or ask him to do it. I am around your child Monday - Friday, morning - evening. We get called his mother 9 times out of 10 and public and sometimes it just slips out in his reference. Don't be flustered by it. Choose to spend time with him when you are home!
#10 - No, they do not have degrees for this occupation. No, there are no courses to take. But I am confident that there are times we would like to. All children are different and just as you are trying to figure out your child's differences so are we. We need to be able to communicate. This is your child we are talking about. We need to be able to communicate with you openly. We need you to communicate with us in return.
Thanks for joining us on another ten things Tuesday! This time the wait won't be so long! Coming up we're going to do big families! Hang in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment