3.17.2014

Funday Monday: changing what service looks like

A week ago I landed after being gone for 24 exact hours shy of two weeks. It was a snap decision that only God could have orchestrated.
Mom heard of a need.
God spoke.
We moved.
Two days later I was on a plane bound for Atlanta.

It didn't really catch up to me until Thursday that I realized what I was doing. By that time, it didn't matter. I was doing it.

It's one of those times that completely alters what I think of service.

I didn't get off a plane in a rual African desert, the prostitute ridden streets of eastern Europe, or the orphan populated provinces in China. Unfortunately, this day and age, those are too lofty. I didn't deny myself many comforts. I had a warm bed, starbucks, good conversation, starbucks, a washing machine and dryer, starbucks, tasty food, starbucks, access to a computer, fellowship, and starbucks. And starbucks!

I spent the last two weeks pretending to be Princess Leia as a seven and eight year old took turns being Hans and Luke to save me. I spent hours cooking with an eleven year old as her kitchen skills were forming. I spent my evenings cuddling with a 2 week old. I spent my afternoons folding laundry, washing dishes, taking walks, doing school, and just being availible. Service.

The last two weeks my sister spent her days kissing my baby's booboss, fixing him meals, making potty runs, playing games, and watching movies. Service.




The last two weeks my parents gave of their time and money to provide care for someone 3 states away. Service.

My uncle gave up some airline miles to get me a ticket home. Service. 

Indirectly we all worked to give to someone else. Service.

Galatians 5:13 talks about how in our freedom that we have received through the cross we are to serve one another. We are not set free to relish in our sin but free to love on and serve others. In high school my youth pastor worked on a saying that we used during a mission trip to Baltimore. He used the classic, God first, others second, and you last. I forget now the details because he had four categories not three. The saying was "Be four, be more." The idea behind it isn't that we have to place ourselves in fourth place to be effective. The idea is that being mindful that God is in first place and our hearts follow after Him in the ways He plans. When we set our gaze on the throne then loving on others becomes what our hands and feet do. Effectually ourselves get moved to fourth place unplanned but completely surrendered.

 My time in Ga wasn't planned, thought out, or organized. I celebrated my birthday and dumped all my gifts into a suitcase and took off! That is why only God could have planned this. Sometimes those work out the best!




Some fun things about my trip:
- I got to catch up with (practically) my second family!
- I got to spend time with this sweet new member. Oh. My. Goodness. She is sweet!
- I got to visit two churches that on one Sunday had more members than a month of consecutive Sundays at my home church. Country mouse in the city much?
- I got to spend some awesome moments completely dependent on the Father because all my comforts and surroundings weren't there.
- I got to teach 3 different grades at the same time.
- I got to spend some time exploring a brand new city.
- I got to take some long (1 mile) walks with the kiddos.
- I got to eat some awesome food.
- I was treated to starbucks, and again, and again.
- I got to learn some new recipes.
- I got not one, but two bunches of flowers.



- I missed my family.
- I am thankful to be home.

Happy Monday and Happy St. Patrick Day!
Enjoy some cuteness!

Linking up with: Still being Molly for Funday Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment