4.22.2014

Wedding Dress Storage

We have been in a mad dash to the listing line...think finish line that ends with a sign in the yard! That is a long story for another day. In the process we have been cleaning out every surface and space we own. Eleven years is a long time to go through settled items.

In our cleaning we came across my mom's wedding dress.  I love my mom's dress (I wish she wasn't so small or I would be wearing it when I get married). Apparently so did a few of our unwanted and unwelcomed house guests. I wanted to make an effort to get it stored correctly and safely.

So, I did! 

After a thorough washing and cleaning we hung it up to dry out completely before storing.

I searched and searched for a flat, hinge closed, boy that was not clear. Not an option. I had to go with a clear option and then used a blanket to keep it dark inside.
My supplies:
Box that closes completely, no gaps or wiggle room.
Space saver bag (size large).
dark (thick) blanket
I measured the bag to the box in the store (I was one of those people) but wanted to show you what I was looking for. I knew the bag would shrink when I sucked the air out but I didn't want it hanging out with lots of extra bag outside of the box.
I folded the dress into thirds and then fourths length wise to fit in the box.
I put the folded dress in the bag in the box, then closed and sucked the air out. This way I was sure to get the right fit.
The closure folded over nicely. Then I layered the blanket in there to completely enclose the dress.





And viola! No sun, dust, rodents, or nada touching this thing!
Better yet, it cost a grand total of $12!



Happy Tuesday!
Linking up with Time Warp Wife for Titus 2sDay 

3 comments:

  1. I would've LOVED to see a picture of the whole dress! ;) Maybe you could find one that was taken of it before it was shrunk wrapped?

    Have a blessed day!

    ♥ In Christ,
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I was this close to taking one when it was hanging up! I should have! I will have to see if I can find one of it on my mom! She wore it best!

      Delete
    2. Hopefully you can find one! :) Yes, I'm sure she wore it best! :)

      ~Alexis

      Delete