2.14.2015

Why Valentines Day doesn't bother me

So many people refer to this day as singles awareness day. It is a complete 24 hours not different from the rest where happily coupled people look down on those with out a SO (significant other: in single speech) or grumpy single people spend the entire day thinking of ways to cope. It doesn't have to be this way. But it is.

The sweetest blog post was written by a friend the other day. You can read it here. I appreciate her sensitivity to the potential this day could be harder than most. But her words aren't just true today. Read on and  I will tell you why.

#1 - I don't just miss my husband today. I miss him all the other 364 days of the year. It doesn't take this magical day in February to bring that about. I know the Father is shaping a future for me that I will be astounded at. But today, today is not the day for me to long for it. I am always in a state of longing. It doesn't get easier September 12th, June 9th, and April 3rd.

#2 - My parents raised me this way. As plain and simple as it sounds I wasn't raised with Valentines being something that only mommy and daddy got to enjoy. It was always a family thing. A day of love. Simple as that. A time where we can learn more about it, display the characteristics, and maybe enjoy a treat or two stranger to the remaining weeks of the year. This year we spent the morning rock climbing and this evening my sister and her hubby are over for a yummy dinner of foods we don't normally get to eat. Fun day, for all.

#3 - I like love. I am not always good at it, and my say-it-like-it-is personality sometimes doesn't show it but I like to love others. I like to find how they like to be loved and love them. Loving others is like, fun!

#4 - God loves me. No, I won't be snuggling on the couch watching netflix with my boo. Or catching a late reservation and a night out. I won't get flowers and candy or even a kiss on the cheek and verbal "I love you's" (from the male variety). But, I know that the love my Father has for me is immense. Beyond compare and matching. He has blessed me with so much love through my family, my job; if I take a look around there isn't denying it.

So no. Valentines doesn't bother me. I love it and love to celebrate it!

Happy Valentines!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah- I'm so glad you guys have always celebrated it as a family! My family always did the same - Kev and I enjoyed giving our kids a little treat today just as much as to one another. Happy Valentine's Day!! :-)

    ReplyDelete