7.02.2013

The great quinoa quest


I have recently formed a fascination with quinoa. It happens to be loaded with protein and fiber (both fantastic for me!) and it is one grain my stomach will handle. Although it is technically a seed, it cooks and acts like a grain. Plus (and this is a HUGE plus for me) it is a mild flavor so adding all kinds of flavor to it is REALLY easy! 

Here are some I've come up with so far! I use the 1/2 cup of quinoa to 1 cup of water. It makes enough for 2 or leftovers for the next day! Score! 

For both of the recipes I used the directions on the back of the package to cook the quinoa.
At the time the quinoa was just about done I threw in some frozen broccoli florets. You could use fresh but be sure to add them sooner or steam them first.  I covered the pot with a lid and let that sit until all the quinoa absorbed the water and the broccoli was tender. 

I used this recipe as a base for the sauce. SUPER easy and SUPER tasty! I altered it this way.

1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup cauliflower steamed
milk (I used lactose free 2% because that's what works best for me)
parmesan cheese
olive oil
Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

cook garlic in oil. throw cauliflower and cooked garlic with the oil from the pan in the food processor. Blend a little until mixed a little and chopped up. Add milk and oil until sauce consistency. Add salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste. I also blended in some Parmesan cheese for flavor! YUM!

Pour sauce over quinoa and broccoli. Mix together and top with some extra Parmesan cheese! Enjoy!

Super easy and tasty!

1 roma tomatoe
salt and pepper to taste
Italian seasoning

Again, when the quinoa is just about done, throw in the some Italian seasoning and chopped tomato. Let that heat up. Season with salt and pepper, top with Parmesan cheese, and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment