9.25.2013

fall of life

No one tells you about the fall.



You know about winter. When life is cold and barren. Even in the still beauty of the snow you know underneath of it all the ground is hard and cold. Everything in a sense has stopped until it passes. The nights come sooner and the mornings later. The days seem to lag without a sun and the grey skies at night seem dreary. You prepare yourself for the biting cold and still get eaten by the harshness the moment you leave your door.

You know about the spring. Where everything is new and growing. Blooms on what used to be bare twigs give hope for the new beauty on the way. Once snow covered ground has now thawed and is giving way for new green freshness. The sunlight that was hiding for so long begins to warm your  face. Even the rain isn't as despairing because along with the warmth it too is bringing growth.

Of course I am not talking about literal spring and winter. I am talking about the seasons of life. Unlike the seasons we experience through the year, the seasons in life don't come with some months and leave with others. The season in life can change gradually with a pregnancy or aging, or they can happen in an instant with an accident, a sudden diagnosis, or the revelation that God's timing isn't our timing with something happening much sooner than we anticipated.

In the recent months I have been reminded of the comfort found in these verses.


You see, I didn't know about the fall of life. The time just before winter. When you begin to loose length in your days, the mornings make it hard to move with the cool temperatures, the leaves begin to change color indicating that death is on the way. The beauty of fall is breath-taking and amazing but you know that at the end of it barren days are coming.

In the literal sense, I believe that Virginia has the most beautiful falls. The colors are stunning as the trees begin to change. The Blue Ridge turn orange, red, and yellow! The crisp air smells of apples, fires, and pumpkin pie. Apple picking is a must and pumpkin patch is a given. The crunch beneath your feet is a comforting sound. The days are warmed by the sun but the temperatures cool. Biased or not, it is the best place to be come late September.

At the beginning of the literal summer I began to experience a taste of fall in life. I knew it was coming. I held my breath and from June to now I have walked through the entry way to winter. At the beginning of it all I asked the Father for one thing over and over again.

Peace.

Let me tell you, He is so faithful.

In Philippians Paul is encouraging the church to think on excellence. Instead of giving them a list of things not to think about, he gives a measuring stick of things to think about. He starts by telling them to rejoice and finishes by listing the types of things to think on, truth, honor, good repute, etc. He finishes by blessings them with the words, "...and the God of peace be with you."

In the middle of these verses one key verse flew off the page.

And the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7

I didn't beg to be blinded or removed, just at peace. He put a guard around my heart and mind with a peace that I didn't and don't understand. If you ask me to explain it to you, I can't. I honestly have no words other than to say my heart is not in turmoil.

I don't know what His plans are and I am not fighting Him on it. Since He is directing it I can rest confidently that He won't get lost.



I did feel the effects of fall bringing the bites of winter but my Savoir changed all that. I took rest in the shadow of His wings and my fall was picturesque of a Virginia October. Cold, yes. Leaves falling, yes. But beautiful. After the months of fall it gave way to a Florida winter. Being honest I have never spent a day in Florida but I have some friends that live there. Every Christmas card picture I get from them captures their kids in shorts and flip flops in front of the Christmas Tree. The trees are green, the grass is greener and the sunshine only leaves for the rain.

Rest in His wings and pray for that peace that guards your heart and mind. It is refreshing and freeing, and you get to enjoy the beauty of the seasons and not the hardships.

linking up with:

No comments:

Post a Comment