7.14.2011

suitcases

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:1-2


There have been some things in my life that I have tried to hide. Carrying them around in suitcases, tucking in the pieces that slip out every now and then. We all do it. We all tuck and hide our "unmentionables" of life as if no one else has them either. How dare someone else see even the tiniest edge. Some become flustered and embarrassed. Others pull out humor to cover or gloss over things. A few shrink away or hide, fading into backgrounds to become "not really there."


We all journey through life packing in our suitcases until the weight would merit you a over-weight checked bag fee enough to cover 3 plane tickets! We shove and push. Squeezing things in left and right as if we have to carry them.


Our backs are bent over and in pain from the weight being drug behind them. Our hands are calloused and raw from lifting, pulling, and dragging the handles of our pasts. And yet we won't let go.


I don't know why. The extent of my knowledge on this subject ends there. It doesn't make sense to me that we value these packages enough to carry them through life. We attempt to run miles with suitcases that drag us down. Have you ever tried to run with suitcases?! Did it once through an airport to make my flight...wasn't pretty...not gonna happen again.


I heard this song for the first time a few days ago. I have never heard of her before until now and can't seem to point out anything else she's done. But, I love this song. I love the simplicity of it's meaning.



Please go here to hear the song! It is a good one! Scroll down to turn off my music!


Looking into this subject a little more, I realized there's a lot more there than simply dropping it and leaving it. In some instances it's more of a passing. In others it's a laying down. And still in a few it is a process of taking it out piece by piece to release the individual from the thing(s) that are entangling.


In several of my experiences they were things I needed to ask for forgiveness for. In others I just needed to tell someone to verbally speak my forgiveness of someone else. Forgiveness is freeing. It's the process of handing over, bag by bag, the pieces of luggage that slow us down.


But, it shouldn't end there. It CAN'T end there. You have to walk away from that moment and place. You can't return. It has to stay there you have to move on. If you're anything like me I thought I needed to grab a thing or two out of the bag as I walked away. That my past still had to be a part of future. What I didn't realize was that it already was. They were circumstances that occurred in my life. My Savior had taken these parts of my life and molded them into the person I was becoming. They were a part of me. They were not me. But they made up who I was in Christ and how I would serve as the body of Christ.


After the moments of acknowledging my suitcases, casting off my suitcases, and allowing the contents of my suitcases to become evident for the better in my life, I had to allow God to use the items in my suitcases for Him. He wanted to take these parts that He had worked into me and use them to reach someone else. He wanted to use my suitcases to empty someone else's.


Are you tripping over your suicases?


For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.


Philippians 1:6


Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.


Joshua 1:9


Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.


Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment