10.09.2010

D.D. recipe #1 - Mac and Beans

So, I finally got around to starting the Deceptively Delicious with the kids. I started with something they all love, Mac and Cheese. This recipe was super easy and kinda healthy. Pair it with a whole wheat pasta instead of the white and it would have taken it to a whole new level. But, I settled for the white for the first go 'round. Maybe next time I will take that step. All in all I found it just as simple (maybe a little more so) as box kind and way better for them. I plan to puree some for the booness.

Secret ingredient - Beans. Any light-colored beans. Navy, chickpeas, etc. I used a small can of navy beans, drained and rinsed.

So, to get started
I started by draining and rinsing a small can of navy beans. Then I pureed them with a little bit of milk for the cheese sauce base.

I melted a bit of butter and then stirred in the milk/bean puree.

After the milk/beans, and butter are smooth and thickened I add cheddar and mozzarella cheese, a couple of hand fulls. Stirred until melted.

While the milk/bean puree and butter were thickening, I threw on a pot of salted water to boil. Threw in my pound of shells and cooked al dente...(I don't like mushy noodles!).

Drain pasta, add to sauce and stir. I added some salt fresh ground pepper and a handful of colby jack cheese.

Verdict is...?

smiles...all...

around!

No comments:

Post a Comment