7.22.2014

For the Girl Waiting

I wrote a pretty real post the other week about the single girl. Mainly about what is said to a single girl. Singleness is an epidemic in this country. It is stemmed from a wide spread allergy to commitments, standards, and responsibility. We are raising a generation of young adults to be self-focused and career-minded individuals forsaking the idea of marriage and forever. We don't bat an eye when all Billy wants to do is play his video games when he is 12. But give it another decade and your basement is now a rent-free zone for Billy to soak up his video games night and day and use what money he makes on more video games. For every Billy there is a Bob, Ted, and Tom doing the same thing. And for every Billy, Bob, Ted, and Tom there are dozens of girls touching 30 before "settling down" becomes an option.

To make sure people aren't confused by my clashing arguments I want to put it out there plain as day. I want to be married. I do. There is no way around that. I desire to find the one God designed for me to become one with my days on this earth. I desire to feel safe in his arms, cuddle up close, build a family, etc. Yet, here is the problem. Our surrounding culture makes those words very, VERY difficult to say. Why? Because of my last post.

There is a certain guilt that is hung on a girl that desires marriage. It is almost hushed down as soon as the words exit her mouth. With reassuring throughs of the good humanitarianism work she could do or the gift of her singleness, just like that she is to ban the thought and press on that God is going to raise someone up and she isn't to even think of him.

Friends, I would be a liar if I said that I didn't think about him. At least daily. What he likes to do. Where he works. If he is thinking of me. The list can go on. But I don't say this. Why? Because I am not allowed to. Quotes like "waiting for him," or "praying for him" are looked down upon, in girls, because it's taboo. I read a post this week a friend posted from another friend. Her thoughts were valid and very true but she swung the pendulum the other way so far that she discounted the blessings that God could bring in the form of a husband.

I firmly believe our Christian culture desires to help girls not feel the utter consumption of their singleness with thoughts that I have addressed here and in my previous post. Even in the post I mentioned where marriage is to not hold back your ministry. But let's be honest. Despite our generation's leaning to be self-sufficient women capable of many things there are still a good handful of us that desire marriage. Beyond that, believe that God will one day bring it around.

So, to the single girl I say, Don't feel guilty for wanting to be married. Don't let it consume you either. God has a plan and if you are walking in obedience with Him step by step then you have no doubt that God will bring His plan to fulfillment in you whatever that may be. Don't put your life on hold, but do not, I repeat, do NOT let anyone talk you out of waiting for him. I do the things I do now because I want to honor first the Father but also him all the days of my life (Proverbs 31:12). I go, be, minister, love, teach, work, play etc. to glorify the One who made me.

I don't know what the Father has in store for me. Trust me, I have no idea. But He isn't far off. He isn't absent. He knows the desires of my heart. He has heard my requests. But, no matter how He chooses to answer, He is sovereign, He is all-knowing, and He leads and guides as He desires. What He holds in His hand may be a life where I never have mine held. Am I ok with that? I'll let you know. But I know that even if that is the case I pray that no matter what I would choose to honor Him, obey Him, still make my requests known to Him, and continue to walk in obedience to Him.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey AH,

    I've recently been reading a book called Joyfully At Home by Jasmine Baucham. It's been very helpful and I would reccomend it! It's mainly speaking of daughters and their roles- whether they are to be in the home or out of it. But it also speaks of the prince many of us long for- you know who he is...Prince Charming. ;) Basicallly, our purpose in life is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. And for me -for you- the way we can best glorify our Lord right now is to be single. Don't get me wrong! I'd love to be married as well (and I haven't been waiting near as long as you ;)! But I'd rather be content where the Lord has me here and now- doing the most for Him that I can during this season of life! In another book I've read, Preparing to be a Help-Meet, a girl said something along the lines of- "If you aren't content as a single person- you won't be content married." The truth of that statement hit me between the eyes. There is always something more to look forward to even after marriage (having kids & grandkids...etc.) and it's best to learn contentment now. Please don't feel like I'm preaching at you. I'm saying this as much for me as you! But, we must learn in the here & now to trust the Lord and serve Him as best as possible wherever He has us- married or not! When (if) He brings Mr. Right to us it will be becacuse He has a new position to fill where we can be of better use to Him. If we're still awaiting Mr. Right it is because this position is where we are currently of best use to Him. One position is not higher than the other- they are of equal importance if it is the Lord that has placed you there. I do agree that we need to be cautious of Feminism, though, and the lies it is trying to sell us about woman being better off alone, better than men, and holding the same life vocation as men (such as a woman is "supposed to, able to, and made to lead just as much as a man"). We are only better off along if that is where the Lord says we are better off serving Him. :) Men & women have different roles -once again, not one better than the other- but one better for us and one better for them because that's how God's system works best. :)

    I hope I'm not just rambling non-sense! I hope you understand what I'm trying to say and I'd appreciate hearing your response! :)

    ♥ In Christ,
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you totally make sense!

      I think I am confusing in my delivery. I just get so frustrated with these two arguments. Either a girl is writhing in her singleness or she has to go out and make something of her time. Why can't a girl be patient and joyfully serving and STILL desire marriage? Why does that have to be indicative of a restless spirit? I have encountered way too many girls who feel they can't say that they desire to be married because of the stigma that surrounds it. If I could encourage single girls, young or old, in anything, it would be this. Enjoy where God has you. There aren't special strings attached to any particular area of your life and God will bring the joy when we are fully submitted to Him and seek to glorify Him. There is no where in His word that says we can't ask or that it is wrong to desire you husband. It is WHAT you do with those desires. It is how you wrestle with them or give them to the Father.

      Look at me, now I am rambling! =) Hope that makes sense! Proud of you and your attitude! By the way, love Preparing, want to read Joyfully at home!

      Delete