10.15.2013

getting more done!

My mama is quite a woman. She has taught me so much and is still. Some of the most valuable pieces of information have also been the most small and seemingly insignificant to outside views. However, they are not. Far from it! I attribute several of these wise revelations to her and my upbringing! Happy "I just wanted to celebrate you, Mom" day!

So, by no means are these magic formulas. You are only going to get out what you put in it. However, every little bit helps! Seriously.

I have a lap full right now. Between hospitals, a two year old, homeschooling a tenth grader, planning a bridal shower, church, being an active part of my family, etc, it is easy for me to feel overwhelmed and behind. However, after putting some of these things in place, the panicky feeling of biting off too much is all but a distant thought. Not gone, just distant. teehee!



#1 - Communication with the Father

source
Prayer. Prayer. Prayer. I can not say this enough. I posted a week or so ago about the peace that only  God could have and has surrounded, enveloped, and consumed me with. This is essential for having a productive day. Getting things done requires you heart and mind being rested and ready. Praying and acting on faith are keys to getting more done!

#2 - Start your day out right! 
This goes hand and hand with #1. Unlike the first, this has to be a scheduled and prioritized part of your day. Whereas prayer is on going, meeting with the Father is a set aside, planned, uninterrupted time.  I can quickly tell (usually by 8 a.m.) that I am "missing" something. Even if what you read and study seems irrelevant to your day ahead, I promise you, your time with Him is not!

#3 - schedule your day yet stay flexible! 

source
I can't stress this factor enough. Being scheduled and flexible are not only important but vital. God talks in Proverbs about planning.
The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage,
But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.
Proverbs 21:5
 This is very helpful. Planning is a requirement is accomplishing things. However, you have to be flexible or you can count on a panic attack and mounds of stress. Plan, plan away. But do not tie yourself to your plans. Plan your day around doing the things that would bring God glory, and yes, taking care of your home, providing education and physical and spiritual nutrition for your kiddos, and doing your work heartily are all God-honoring tasks! Allow God to change your plans per His desires and be tender to what He is leading you to do.

Sidenote: this is a favorite way to plan for me! 

#4 - dress for success! 

Sounds odd, but I am being serious! My mom worked with us big time on this when we were young. We had to be up, clothes (that matched) on, and hair done, with breakfast eaten by a certain time every morning. Again, flexibility is key. Rough night, sick days, etc. all played into her being sensitive or flexible (=D). Now, as an adult I try to live by this. Maybe because it is ingrained in me, but I like to think it is because I have seen it work. One morning a week I get up and don't get dressed in "clothes" clothes. That day I focus on the deep cleaning. I stay in sweats and have at it with my bff, Mr. Bleach! However, the other 6 days of the week are dressed and ready for the day. This helps be ready for what the day brings. Errands, company, meetings, etc. Brush on a little powder and eyeliner, pull your hair back in a bun to mask the pb&j and you are ready to go!

#5 - wear shoes! 

source
Again, completely odd! But let me tell you, wearing shoes keeps you focused. I am not joking. Like I said above, it is not a magic system. You have to put something into it. However, wearing shoes keeps you from getting comfy or lacking motivation. You don't have to worry about slipping something on or off to take trash out or go for a walk. For me it is a mental thing that shoes are on my feet, I keep going. Removing my shoes is an after dinner pajama wearing thing!

So there you have it. My smarter not harder techniques. Don't read me wrong. I believe in hard work. I don't believe in frustrating, stressful, 3-steps-behind work!

1 comment: