1.30.2014

7 rules for device use

I have been dealing with electronic use overload recently! With 4 straight snow days last week I spent an unhealthy time in front of a screen. Between a smart phone, lap top, and tv I run into the media sucking me in no matter where I turn. I have found this to be stepping it's grimy toes into relationships, priorities, and to do lists and before I know it I have discovered that it has trampled them all leaving the little bits of time in a mess.

It all came to a head whilst I innocently checked the weather the other day. My two year old grabs my face with his little hands and goes, "I want your face."

Translation: pay attention to me.

Gripper!

So, in my attempts to work on putting down the devices and paying attention to life I have come up with a few a rules. Here are my thoughts.



#1 - Set aside time for the device. Just because your newsfeed grows by a few stories, or the weather changes slightly doesn't give reason to give 'round the clock attention. Find a time(s) to be on a device, don't cling to it like the breath you inhale and exhale, but set it aside anyway. Make sure it is a time that doesn't take away from time with the kids or the hubby, interrupt fixing dinner or daily chores, or distract you from something important.   

#2 - Make sure to do the important things first. I had gotten into a bad habit all in the name of "waking up." I would turn off my alarm, turn on music, and surf for a few minutes until I woke up because it only involved one device. Before I knew it, I had 10 minutes to squeeze in a quite time, be dressed, and looking decent for my day. Since I was in fact able to fit it all in, I didn't blink an eye. But the moment I realized that quantity was not the same as quality was very humbling. Things like prayer when I first wake up don't cut it for me...I fall back asleep. Instead of I have to get up, turn the light on, and use my phone for good! I turn on the Bible app and read along in my physical Bible the passage for the day. When I am ready for the day then I am able to get on to whatever.

#3 - The person in front of you is more important than the person in the screen. I know this sounds harsh but this is one of my biggest pet peeves and probably the biggest way you can tell me I am not important to you. My teenager decided to tell me one day that she was able to multitask. I beg to differ. No matter how hard you try you can't focus on two things completely at one time. Try not to pick it up while in back and forth conversation. Look the other person in the eye. Respond to them. Don't feel ashamed about asking if you can respond to a text. Set it aside for a time together.

#4 - Set up locations for the devices. I read one blog that recommended ditching the laptops and tablets in efforts to secure one location for online time by way of a desktop. I like my laptop. I use it for many things, I teach, will go to school soon, and have used it for various church projects. I need to be able to move it. So, I don't agree. However, having one or two places it needs to stay is helpful.

#5 - Communicate with your kids. Don't exclude yourself from social media and smart phones because of your age and generation gap. That is just crazy. Kids more than ever need involvement from parents.  Don't be afraid to invade a bit of "personal space" for the sake of your kids' safety. Have the kids on the same rules. #4 is always a good rule for kids with devices.

#6 - Pick it up and call! I am SO guilty of this. I struggle big time with phone calls. It is so hard for me. But, we are rapidly loosing personal touch in our communication. Pick and choose your communication. What would be easier to find out through text? vs. What would be more beneficial to phone the other person and make personal contact?

#7 - Use it for good. Find out birthdays and text (not just write on walls), find some encouraging blogs, look up a yummy recipe for dinner or craft to do with the kids, take silly pictures with your kids on the webcam, do some research, etc.

What are some device (cell phone, tv, computer, tablet, etc.) rules do you have in your house?

4 comments:

  1. This is really timely for me. I definitely have been giving my iPhone & laptop way too much attention when there's a bustling world around me - especially a world that doesn't know Christ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is absolutely a conviction post and not a call to others! I am working hard on this myself!

      Delete
  2. These are good ideas! As a person who doesn't have a smartphone and sometimes out with many people who do, I have to agree with #3 wholeheartedly. There have been times I've been out and feel like I'm competing with a phone. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! I am so saddened by the picture I see when everyone is facing the phone in a social setting!

      Delete