1.27.2014

D.I.Y. Library Tote bag

I am SUPER excited about this!

Let me start off but saying how illiterate I am when it comes to sewing machines. This project does not mean that I have earned some experience. BUT, I could not be more proud of this project.

I had this t-shirt I got from vacation with my cousin years ago! I loved it! Somehow it got a seriously icky looking stain on the sleeve. I tried e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. to get it out and nothing worked.
 Eww! After trying and trying I just retired it to the craft bin. There it sat for ages. I decided to fish it out during my break this last week due to snow! First time trying my hand at the sewing machine and this is what I came up with!

#1 - I started out with this shirt (also in the craft bin). I ironed it completely and sewed up the button area to make it solid. I measured the smallest part of the shirt across and made a pattern.
 #2 - I made my pattern 15.5 inches tall and 19.5 inches wide. I laid both shirts flat, pinned the pattern, and cut front and back. I didn't get pictures of the next parts because I was so crazy intense working on it!

I pinned right sides together of one piece of the pink shirt and one piece of the button down. I sewed along the top seam 3/8 inch. I unfolded it and ironed it. Then I used the zig zag stitch across the top of the two pieces. Nice and secure.
 #3 - I used the material from the button down for the straps. I used the tape measure to measure the top of my shoulder to my under arm and back around and then added the height of the bag. Viola the measurement of the strap.
I ironed the pieces flat. Then I folded in the sides (see below) and ironed and then folded in half and then ironed. I sewed two rows of zig zag stitching to secure the straps.


#4 - I pinned the straps 4.5 inches from the edges and made sure they lined up on both pieces. Then I straight stitched them onto the two pieces of the bag and then took the zig zag back across the top of the bag where the straps are.
#5 - I pinned the two pieces together making sure the straps lined up. I sewed the sides and the bottom with double stitches.
#6 - I used this tutorial for making the bottom squared.

Viola and ta-da! I was super proud of myself! There are tons of "things" that are "wrong" with it and I could have done it all correctly but for my first attempt at a solo project I was sure excited!



 Inside! Notice I left the buttons! I thought it was a cool touch!
Linking up with: Funday MondayTeach Me TuesdayLet's Be Friends  .  Modest Monday

2 comments: