12.23.2010

1 - 2 - 3

Remember this post? It seems like forever ago! As I was editing some things on my blog I noticed that I had not taken down my ticker to my Peru trip. Then I noticed something that it has been 1 month, 2 weeks, and 3 days since I had been to Peru. The same amount of time as the previously mentioned post just the other way around.
In some ways it feels like it has been a LOT longer than that. I guess because so much has been crammed into the weeks since I returned. Baby showers (and babies!), thanksgivings, Christmas preparations, etc. In other ways it feels like just yesterday I was standing in the Atlanta airport thinking that the day would NEVER end and it was only 11 a.m.
My time in Peru was much different than last time I was there. Different ministry efforts, different people, different translators, different schedule, different time of year, different. I didn't have many "crutches" this year. The relationships I have now are because they were made over time there. I didn't go with someone especially "close." Where as these two ladies were amazing and I SO enjoyed getting to know them, they were not family. My view has changed somewhat (don't worry, I love you guys!) but in the beginning I prepped myself for being "on my own." I was ok with that...or so I thought.
God showed me that I was not "on my own." He has placed these people on my team and for some weird reason He has them looking out for me. I didn't expect it. I wasn't looking for it. I thought I was doing ok. It took getting really sick. I mean really sick...a total of like 3 hours of sleep, loosing my dinner, and being miserable all of the 2nd night of the trip...for me to see that they cared. I wasn't just a "kid" going with all the adults to Peru. They were concerned and did what they could to help me out. I was a part of the team.
I miss this. I miss all of it. Every time I go a little piece of my heart is left. I love that I know I will see these people again. I love that I know that I don't have to wait until we are in the presence of Jesus to be reunited. I don't really know what captured my heart about this place other than the Father. It is cold. The week is long. You would kill someone for a shower. Your teeth don't feel clean for like a week after you come home. Headaches are a given. You eat in places where cats walk around the kitchen like they own the place. You sleep in beds that are less than desirable. The ride up is long. The ride down is painfully longer. You eat off a camp stove. Your stomach is more often than not, upset. You don't want to know what is on the bottom of your shoe...ever. You sleep under 40 alpaca blankets just to keep from shaking with cold.
And yet, I can't wait to go back. Who knows, maybe soon you will see another ticker on my side bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment